Friday, January 2, 2009

Ksquared's Dumbest-Day-To-Have-A-Bowl-Game Bowl Prediction

After USC manhandled Penn State, there's no doubt that the Tostito's Fiesta Bowl went to the top of the list as the next most anticipated bowl game. When all's said and done, I truly believe this will be the second most exciting BCS bowl game next to the Florida-Oklahoma matchup. And I can't wait. So, without further ado...

January 5, 2009 - Tostito's Fiesta Bowl - Glendale, AZ
#10 Ohio State vs. #3 Texas - 8:00 pm ET
The Good: These two teams have recently battled twice in a very memorable home/away regular season matchup, with both teams coming away victorious on one occasion. The quintessential rubber match is now...and it should be a good one. Beanie Wells is healthy, Colt McCoy is more confident than ever, Terrelle Pryor is more experienced, both defenses have multiple impact players who will be playing on Sunday next year, Coach Tressel is finally comfortable with the new system under Pryor, Coach Brown is raving mad after another BCS snub.......shall I go on? What's not to like about this matchup? TCU proved Boise State doesn't belong here (the only argument against the game I considered when this matchup was announced) and I can't imagine a better Fiesta Bowl than this one. Because I am in Phoenix, and as is customary in my many sports endeavors, I will be attending this game. I expect a showdown.

The Bad: I have to work the entire day because the stupid television execs and BCS decision-maker big wigs (NOT the Fiesta Bowl) decided it should played on Monday, January 5th. Dumb. That said, it is the only thing I don't like about this game. These teams are evenly matched and though most people expect Texas to dominate this game, I just don't see that happening.

The Ugly Prediction: Ohio State has started FAST the last three big games they've played in (Ginn touchdown return against Florida, Wells run for touchdown against LSU, and a fluid first-drive against USC) and they have lost BIG in all three. I expect an opposite turn-of-events in this game. Pryor's nerves will probably get the best of him early on and the Longhorns' D will come out angry, making for some Ohio State stumbling and bumbling. On the flip side, McCoy's newfound experience and maturity will do well for Texas at the start and they should be able to gain some yards early. And then the fun will truly begin. Texas leads 10-0...Everyone settles into the game and the real battle ensues...It's 17-14 at half-time (either way)...The dog fight is on...It comes down to a few key plays in the fourth quarter (for the sake of a truly ugly prediction, I will go with a rare McCoy interception and a HUGE return by Ray Small)...Drum roll please...
Ohio State 27 - Texas 24

No comments:

Post a Comment