Monday, November 24, 2008

"Where, Oh Where Will LeBron James Go?" Part I

Rumor has it that LeBron James could leave the Cleveland Cavaliers when his contract expires in 2010. There are many opportunities out there for King James, but which one is right for him? If he wanted, he could stay in Cleveland and hope for better days; he could go to the big stage and play in New York; or he could take a big pay check and go play on a Euroleague Team. There are other options that have been talked about as well, like going to Detroit or New Jersey. One thing is for sure, everyone is waiting for an answer.

An ESPN poll titled, “Which team will LeBron James play for in 2010-11?” has drawn 20,000 votes and the results are in:

New York – 35%
Cleveland – 30%
New Jersey – 14%
Detroit – 11%
Euroleague Team – 11%

According to this poll, people see James playing in New York in 2010 and Cleveland coming in at a close second. The other options seem less likely to the public at the moment. This is just an opinion of 20,000 people and definitely not a bunch of informed experts, but it is interesting nonetheless. The choice comes down to what LeBron James wants and I’ll tell you what he wants: he wants Championships.

Every great athlete is at some point measured by Championship rings and LeBron does not want to have a zero by his name when he is through. In my mind, this will play the biggest role in where he decides to go. He has been quoted as saying, “When I decide to make that decision, you know, it is basically to put me in a position where I feel like I can win multiple championships. If it's staying here, then I will be here. If it's moving elsewhere, then I will have to look at all my options.” It's clear what LeBron James wants and the team that can make that championship a possibility is where he is most likely go.

Stay tuned for PART II in the coming days where I will take a look at three of his more probable options.

Check out Bertman’s fresh sports blog, “Sports Never End” for more great sports info, where sports truly never end.

No comments:

Post a Comment