Sunday, October 19, 2008

Going Over Ksquared's NCAA Football Predictions - Week 8

So, how did I do? Well, let's just say, the game of the week wasn't what me or the rest of the country thought it would be, but I did get some upsets to fly. Check it out:

My Prediction: Missouri 44 - Texas 42
What Happened: Texas 56 - Missouri 31
Oh, how wrong was the country on this one? An ESPN poll showed that almost 67% of the nation had picked Missouri to win this game, myself included. Texas and Colt "I am more of a man than Mike Gundy" McCoy are proving to everyone that they belong in the National Championship. Can they keep up this kind of efficiency? That is the question. Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are next on the dockett...Man, the Big 12 is exciting this year!

My Prediction: Alabama 32 - Ole Miss 14
What Happened: Alabama 24 - Ole Miss 20
Closer than I thought, but Alabama pulled out, classic Saban style. I don't care if Alabama wins the rest of their games by one point, if they run the table, they should be in the National Championship (however unlikely that is).

My Prediction: Penn State 31 - Michigan 10
What Happened: Penn State 46 - Michigan 17
this game was closer than the score indicates. Michigan was leading for most of the first half, in fact. But, like any good team, Penn State played better when it mattered and game through with a pretty nice victory. This week will be their "final" test...Get past what looks like a snowballing Buckeyes team and you have a clear path to the NC.

My Prediction: Oklahoma 34 - Kansas 30
What Happened: Oklahoma 45 - Kansas 31
As predicted, Kansas kept it close, but Oklahoma was the better team and there was no way they were letting another Big 12 team beat them. It's just too bad for Kansas that they're in the Big 12, because they have a pretty solid team...Kansas could have 3 or 4 losses by the time the season's over and still would be one of the top 15 teams in the country in my book.

My Prediction: USC 50 - Washington St. 21
What Happened: USC 69 - Washington St. 0
USC just showed the glaring disparity between the top and bottom of the PAC-10. It also would have been nice if Washington State would have showed up for the game.

My Prediction: Texas Tech 36 - Texas A&M 28
What Happened: Texas Tech 43 - Texas A&M 25
This game would have been 36-25 if Tech wouldn't have scored a touchdown with hardly any time to go...and I would have looked like a genius. Instead, it was still a good prediction and though Tech didn't look perfect, they still look dangerous.

My Prediction: Oklahoma State 45 - Baylor 16
What Happened: Oklahoma State 34 - Baylor 6
Many pundits were talking about a potential upset...I'm not sure why. Were they watching the same Ok. State-Missouri game as I was? The Cowboys are for real, which is why I have them in the top 5 in my new Top 25 rankings.

My Prediction: TCU 23 - BYU 20
What Happened: TCU 32 - BYU 7
I was right and wrong, but more right than wrong. TCU came through with the upset and BYU has finally been proven in their overratedness...I just underestimated the TCU defense, which looks incredible. Good for you, TCU, and welcome back to the Top 25.

My Prediction: Georgia 24 - Vandy 10
What Happened: Georgia 24 - Vandy 14
One of my best predictions of the week, Georgia played well enough to win and Vandy just couldn't keep up. Applause to Vanderbilt for a nice run and here's looking to rebuilding the program around some big game victories. Watch out for the Commodores in the years to come.

My Prediction: Ohio State 30 - Michigan State 20
What Happened: Ohio State 45 - Michigan State 7
It happened...Pryor and Wells both had a good game. And it wasn't pretty for Michigan State. With Pryor looking better and better and Wells getting healthier, Penn State is going to have their hands full. Let's not forget, too, that Ohio State's D held Javon Ringer and the Michigan State offense to 7 points. "Spread HD" comes to Columbus and it better be razor sharp to beat the Buckeyes in their own house.

My Prediction: LSU 35 - South Carolina 17
What Happened: LSU 24 - South Carolina 17
Closer than I thought, but very SEC-like, LSU played just well enough to keep South Carolina down. Just like Kansas, it's too bad the Gamecocks play in the SEC...they would be a top echelon team in most conferences.

My Prediction: Utah 28 - Colorado State 18
What Happened: Utah 49 - Colorado State 16
Another big victory for Utah and they keep rolling over teams. As I wrote in my Top 25 rankings, I wish upon wishes I could see Utah and Boise State battle it out on the field. They are both so good and I can't really decide who's better.

My Prediction: Boise State 38 - Hawaii 24
What Happened: Boise State 27 - Hawaii 7
Defense ruled the night in a game that usually ends with a total point total over 75. Boise State is looking good down the stretch and should be able to get to a BCS bowl...but wait, what's that in front of them? Another BCS buster...Yep, Utah is still ahead of them in the polls. Could that change? Or could we have an undefeated Boise State team out of a BCS bowl game?

My Prediction: Virginia Tech 17 - Boston College 10
What Happened: Boston College 28 - Virginia Tech 23
One of my few mistakes this week, it actually proved me right. I wrote earlier that I thought Virginia tech would fall from grace, and they have, just sooner than I thought. BC is looking good even without Matt Ryan. But who the heck knows who is best in the ACC anymore...

My Prediction: North Carolina 25 - Virginia 24
What Happened: Virginia 16 - North Carolina 13 (OT)
I knew it would be close, but I thought for sure NC would come out on the winning end of it. Not to be, so instead, a Virginia team that hadn't scored a point on Richmond going into the fourth quarter earlier in the season actually looks pretty darn good. For turnaround of the year, Virginia could be getting the award.

My Prediction: South Florida 41 - Syracuse 14
What Happened: South Florida 45 - Syracuse 13
Another pretty nice prediction on my part, this game went as planned. South Florida is a great team and their loss to Pittsburgh doesn't actually look all that bad anymore. I expect them to make a run, but no way do they make a BCS bowl game.

My Prediction: Maryland 24 - Wake Forest 20
What Happened: Maryland 26 - Wake Forest 0
Schizophrenic...It's the only way to describe Maryland this year. No one knows if they're going to come out and play on any given day and though I thought they would pull this one out, never would I have predicted a shut-out. Wake Forest, wave goodbye to the Top 25.

My Prediction: Pittsburgh 28 - Navy 21
What Happened: Pittsburgh 42 - Navy 21
I thought Navy's defense would play better, but McCoy is looking better and better and decided to give Navy a taste of their own medicine. He rushed for 156 yards and 3 touchdowns. This guy might just be playing on Sundays.

My Prediction: Arizona 32 - California 20
What Happened: Arizona 42 - California 27
Again, I did expect Arizona to pull this one out after a dissapointment against Stanford the week before, but the way they did it is what made it impressive. Watch out USC, this Wildcat team could actually give you a game down in Tucson this weekend. They won't win...but hey, at least it won't be 69-0.

There you have it - I ended this week 16-3 with a few upset predictions, which gives me a grand total of 44-11 (.800) - Not bad, if I do say so myself. This coming week looks to be a tough one, so stay tuned for my "Expert" predictions in the coming days. I don't know about you, but I will be glued to my TV for the Ohio State-Penn State game. Be safe all!

No comments:

Post a Comment