Thursday, October 23, 2008

Week 9 Top 25 College Football Predictions

It's official - the standings, I mean - The BCS Standings came out this past week, so we now have an "official" Top 25. It looks like voters are punishing Florida for a bad loss to Ole Miss and it also looks like the voters are continuing to punish Ohio State for it's last two National Championship losses. There is, however, a rare unanimous decision for the #1 spot in Texas. We'll see if they can hold on this weekend against a very good Oklahoma State team.

Without further ado...

#6 Oklahoma State at #1 Texas - 3:30 pm ET
It's too bad ESPN is really the only news source for sports, as their entire coverage has centered around their featured game, Penn State at Ohio State. In reality, this game probably has more National Championship implications. I think most pundits expect this game to be more lopsided than it will end up, which could be adding to the absence of coverage. If this game were in the Cowboys backyard, I might actually pick them, but in Austin, the crowd and the excitement will just be too much for Oklahoma State to handle. Closer than most think, but a Texas victory nonetheless.
My Prediction: Texas 45 - Oklahoma State 38

#2 Alabama at Tennessee - 7:45 pm ET
Tennessee is one of this year's major dissapointments and Alabama is one of this year's biggest surprises...In with the new and out with the old. Alabama wins this one big after a tight one against Kentucky the week before. Saban will have his kids focused and ready to play. The Tennessee crowd will try and pretend like it matters, but after the first quarter, they'll be silent once again.
My Prediction: Alabama 34 - Tennessee 10

#3 Penn State at #9 Ohio State - 8:00 pm ET
What more can I say here that I haven't already said. Pryor's from Pennsylvania, Clark's from Ohio...that's kind of cool. Since joining the Big Ten, Penn State has never won in the Horseshoe...that's kind of sad. Ohio State hasn't had a Freshman start at quarterback since the 1970's and the kid's 5-0 in his college career...That's kind of badass. As stated before, if this game was in Happy Valley, I give the edge to Penn State, but Columbus has been waiting to take it's revenge out on another highly ranked team since USC and they will be ruthless in the stands. Chalk this game up to the 12th Man and the Buckeyes edge the Lions to jump back into the top 5 in the standings.
My Prediction: Ohio State 32 - Penn State 27

#4 Oklahoma at Kansas State - 12:30 pm ET
Not a whole lot of explaining needed here...Oklahoma is going to have a field day and will let some of the third-stringers get work in the fourth quarter. If Kansas State stays within 35 points, I will be surprised. Boomer Sooner!
My Prediction: Oklahoma 52 - Kansas State 10

#5 USC at Arizona - 10:15 pm ET
This one is going to be closer than what we all thought at the beginning of the season. It was supposed to be USC's game at Arizona State that caused a stir in the state of Arizona...Instead, ASU is the embarrasment and UofA actually has hopes of winning the PAC-10. You heard it here first, those hopes will be smashed this weekend. Most years, I would say this is a huge trap game for USC and that Arizona has a chance to upset, but USC already had it's upset and I can guarantee that Carroll won't let them lose their fire going forward. We saw what happened to Washington State when they got in the way. USC - Big.
My Prediction: USC 48 - Arizona 17

#7 Georgia at #13 LSU - 3:30 pm ET
Another great matchup this weekend that has gone largely overlooked. This is a VERY important game for both of these teams, as a chance to go to the SEC Championship game could slip away from the loser. Imagine, we are only half-way through the season and either Georgia or LSU will, for all intensive purposes, be eliminated from Championship contention. This is a very tough game to pick as the Bayou is always a tough place to play, but I think Georgia muscles this one out. I'm taking Stafford to get back into form and have a Heisman-like day.
My Prediction: Georgia 24 - LSU 21

#8 Texas Tech at #23 Kansas - 12:00 pm ET
Some experts think this is a major trap game for Texas Tech and have gone so far as to pick Kansas to win this one, but I don't think so. Kansas' secondary is way too suspect for Harrell not to score on almost every drive down the field, so even if Reesing throws a few touchdowns, it won't matter. I'll take the over on this game and Tech to keep on winning.
My Prediction: Texas Tech 41 - Kansas 38

Kentucky at #10 Florida - 12:30 pm ET
I don't like Kentucky's chances here at all. They're coming off a tough loss to a good Alabama team, they're playing in the Swamp, and Florida has been rolling with Percy harvin back at full speed. Not to mention that Urban Meyer has had an extra week to scheme and come up with tricky little SEC plays.
My Prediction: Florida 31 - Kentucky 17

#12 Boise State at San Jose State - Friday, 9:00 pm ET
Another game that many are picking to be close that I just don't think will be. Boise State has shown no signs of letting up and San Jose State is no real threat. Boise State's defense has been solid, while San Jose has had trouble scoring. That spells s-h-u-t-o-u-t.
My Prediction: Boise State 20 - San Jose State 0

Wyoming at #14 TCU - 6:00 pm ET
There is no way TCU has a let-down after a great win against BYU and being in front of their home crowd. If Wyoming wants to win, they'll have to hope TCU's entire first-string defense gets the flu.
My Prediction: TCU 24 - Wyoming 9

Colorado at #15 Missouri - 6:30 pm ET
Oh, poor Colorado. They are the unfortunate souls who have to be next. Since Missouri's two-game slide, both the fans and the players are going to be taking out their anger on someone...and that someone is Colorado. Chase Daniel plays best with a chip on his shoulder, and after the last two games, I guarantee he's heard some critics reiterate his size-issue in relation to the NFL. This will lead directly to touchdowns...a lot of them.
My Prediction: Missouri 49 - Colorado 28

#16 South Florida at Louisville - 3:30 pm ET
This is my "be careful" game of the week. I am going with South Florida, but with reservations. Louisville has been pretty insignificant this season, not because they have been losing (Kentucky and Connecticut are respectable losses), but because their wins have been against nobodies. I'm not sure anyone really knows how good the Cardinals are and they are at home in this one. I'm taking South Florida by a touchdown, but I won't be surprised at all if somehow the Bulls figure out a way to lose.
My Prediction: South Florida 31 - Louisville 24

Rutgers at #17 Pittsburgh - 3:30 pm ET
Rutgers is BAD this year. BAD. Other than Connecticut, Morgan State is their only other victory. I guess this could be one of those start-out-slow-finish-big years, but I'm not seeing it. There are problems on every side of the ball and there just isn't enough time in the season to figure it all out. On the other hand, Pittsburgh's McCoy has started to play like he was supposed to all along and the Panthers are truly looking like the team that everyone had picked to win the Big East at the beginning of the season. If they can beat West Virginia later in the year, it will be smooth sailing for the Panthers, and they know it.
My Prediction: Pittsburgh 28 - Rutgers 10

Virginia at #18 Georgia Tech - 3:30 pm ET
Virginia has shown some flashes of brilliance lately, but so has Georgia Tech. And I don't think the Yellow Jackets will let their fans down being at home. I will say this...If Virginia wins its third conference game and fourth game in a row overall, I will be a believer of this turnaround season everyone's talking about. Until then, I'm picking Georgia Tech by two touchdowns.
My Prediction: Georgia Tech 24 - Virginia 10

UCF at #19 Tulsa - Sunday, 8:00 pm ET
Tulsa has put up HUGE points on everyone they've faced and this game is no different. David Johnson has 31 touchdown passes in 7 games, which puts him on pace for over 50 on the year. Though there isn't a team worth a hoot in their conference, with numbers like they have, who cares. If you score 77 points in a game, I don't care who you're playing, it's amazing.
My Prediction: Tulsa 69 - UCF 38

Eastern Michigan at #20 Ball State - 12:00 pm ET
I admit, though I am a fan of the MAC, I am not a fan of Ball State. Like Tulsa, Ball State also plays inconsequential teams...unlike Tulsa, they have a defense...but also unlike Tulsa, they need that defense because they don't put up over 50 points every game. I have Ball State losing to both Central and Western Michigan the last two games of the season. The question is, how far will they move up the polls before their long drop?
My Prediction: Ball State 32 - Eastern Michigan 17

UNLV at #21 Brigham Young - 2:00 pm ET
I still don't like BYU, but I like them a lot more now that they are where they belong. UNLV is no match and Max Hall will have a field day throwing the ball. That game at Utah is going to be the back-breaker at the end of the season, which should vault Utah into a BCS game over Boise State and kick BYU into a meaningless bowl.
My Prediction: BYU 48 - UNLV 20

#22 Northwestern at Indiana - 12:00 pm ET
This should have been a pretty good game, but Indiana has underdelivered and is overmatched by a soft-scheduled Northwestern team. Northwestern will still lose three more games this year to Minnesota, Ohio State, and Illinois (in that order), but for now, they can enjoy their Top 25 stay.
My Prediction: Northwestern 32 - Indiana 17

#24 Minnesota at Purdue - 12:00 pm ET
Minnesota, to me, is the surprise of the season. Adam Weber has been playing out of his mind and has shown he has true Senior leadership abilities. Other than an "I'll take it" loss to Ohio State, they shouldn't lose another game. I'll take the Gophers to go the distance and finish tied for second with Penn State in the Big Ten. I know, I know, it's early and there's a lot of football to be played, but I stand my ground.
My Prediction: Minnesota 32 - Purdue 20

Virginia Tech at #25 Florida State - 3:30 pm ET
This is a pretty even matchup, though no one outside of Virginia and Florida cares. I don't expect much scoring, but I do expect Florida State to win at home in a close one. After this win over a mediocre Virginia Tech team, you'll have Seminole fans crying that they're back...Listen, you're not back...You'll lose at LEAST three more games this season, so hold your horses.
My Prediction: Florida State 17 - Virginia Tech 16

And that'll do it...It's getting late here in AZ, so I'm hitting the sack, but be sure to check back tomorrow for my Fantasy Football Sleepers. And as always, be safe this weekend, especially you night-game crowds (I'm talking to you Columbus - No car fires please).

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me... you pick all the higher ranked teams to win... you have no upstes at all.... thats pathetic and so are these picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apologize, you made 1 upset with the Buckeyes beating Penn State. Still pathetic picks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anonymous decides to come back and look at my response, here it is:

    Look at my past weeks...I pick upsets when I think they will happen (reference Arizona over California and Oklahoma St. over Missouri - both not very popular picks at the time).

    This week, as weird as it sounds, I don't think there will be a whole lot of shake-up.

    Why is so pathetic that for one week of college football, most of the Top 25 actually does their job.

    One upset I think could happen is Louisville over South Florida, but again, my prediction is that it won't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One last note - I am 44-11 (.800) in the three weeks I've picked...I'd say that's better than pathetic.

    ReplyDelete